eHealth Connect Image Exchange allows users to share imaging studies for immediate, community-wide access by referring clinicians and other specialists through the Health Information Exchange (HIE) or their EMR. Providers can view patients’ external images or transfer them into the PACS with a single click.
Image Exchange Workflow Capabilities
eHealth Connect® Image Exchange has been designed to integrate with all common PACS technologies and with virtually all HIE and EHR platforms, providing the following image-enabled clinical workflows:
View all imaging studies from within the patient record on an HIE portal: With a single click, authorized HIE users can launch a study of interest from any connected imaging location on eHealthViewer® ZF—a zero-footprint, web-based viewing platform—a fully diagnostic-quality FDA 510(k) Class II medical device.
View and compare imaging studies from different locations: Authorized HIE users can access a Community-Wide Imaging Worklist for their patients. Users can manipulate, sort, and view one or multiple imaging studies from different imaging provider locations in a common eHealthViewer ZF image viewing session.
Collaborate with other healthcare providers anywhere in the community in real time: With a single click from the eHealthViewer ZF, users can initiate an immediate screen sharing consultation session with any other authorized care provider in the community—for wet reads, second opinions, and consultations between referring physicians and specialists.
Access images from external locations directly from their EMR or Direct Messaging inbox: Care providers seeking access to patient records from their Direct Messaging inboxes, or as delivered to directly to their EMRs can be provided “one-click” access to view imaging studies on eHealthViewer ZF. This capability has the added benefit of enabling participating institutions to meet a key imaging menu criterion of Meaningful Use Stage 2.
Benefits to Payers, Providers, and Patients
- Simplifying access to medical imaging studies originating from any PACS source or vendor by providing eHealthViewer® ZF as a unified viewing environment for all medical imaging studies in the community.
- Helping connected hospitals and imaging services providers to secure and grow their referral base by providing a more complete service to their referring clinicians, with “one-click” access to view diagnostic quality medical imaging studies in conjunction with results reports from their system of choice: their own EMR, their Direct Secure Message inbox, or the HIE portal.
- Enabling “Eligible Professional” care providers to meet Meaningful Use Stage 2 because access to external imaging studies can be delivered directly into their own EMRs, satisfying an important MU2 menu objective.
- Expanding an HIE’s user base and increasing overall HIE usage by enhancing the value of services available to their participating healthcare providers, with the incorporation of access to medical images.
- Improving efficiencies and reducing operational costs for connected hospitals and imaging services providers by supplying them with a unified platform for sharing images with any care provider who needs access. This includes sharing images externally with referring physicians and specialists who need access for follow-on care, as well as gaining internal access to relevant prior imaging studies from other locations across the community for patients who are being provided care within their facility.
- Enhancing the speed and quality of care with additional services such as immediate real-time imaging consultations, side-by-side comparisons for images from multiple locations, and emergency and urgent image access needs.
Understand the Differences Between Cloud-Based and HIE Image Sharing
There are several distinct differences between image sharing achieved by cloud-based methods and HIE-based Image Sharing. Cost savings, streamlined workflows, and faster access to critical medical images by clinical teams is discussed in this opens in a new windowpaper authored by Gary Larson, Executive VP and General Manager, HIE Solutions.